Making it bigger & better: Action quake2
Lets start from the beginning. What senses do you use to play aq2? Your hearing and sight.
We should start to think how good aq2 is managed with theese.
* Menu sounds - are they good? Should we change them?
* Player sounds - are they good? Should we change them?
* Weapon sounds - are they good? Should we change them?
* Tng sounds - are they good? Should we change them?
* Ingame chat sounds - are they good? Should we change them?
* ingame VOIP? - Do we need one?
When you start the game first time, what do you want to see? Should it be console loading some random textures, or should we add some 5sec flash animation/video? I remember at some point there was demo running behind the scenes when you started aq2.
* Menus - are they good? Should we change them?
* Weapon models - are they good? Should we change them?
* Weapon skins - are they good? Should we change them?
* Player models - are they good? Should we change them?
* Players skins - are they good? Should we change them?
* Map textures - are they good? Should we change them?
* Animations - are they good? Should we change them?
I personally think Weapons and maps with 32bit textures look very good, but maybe we could do better job with player models and skins, they look very messy at the moment, and blocky like in minecraft.
* Other visible stuff (Conchars, conbacks etc) - are they good? Should we change them?
When you join the server, team and weapon menus should pop right at the start. Too often I see "How can I join team" messages in aq2. Also making them mouse clickable would be awesome.
Would it be possible to inform newbs joining in the middle of the clanwar? Like saying "Clanwar is going on" or something like that, would it be needed?
Core of Scene (aq2world.com)
How to improve aq2world.com? The more the merrier they say.
One huge problems in quake2 have always been big pings, you don't really want to play with 200pings from day to day. So what else aq2 related can you do, besides just playing in public pwning noobs? Not much, not much.
Have you guys ever visited teamliquid.net? I think the most awesome thing in the site is liquidpedia. It basically have all the information about the freaking game. Tournaments, tournament results, players, clans, etc. Check it out -> http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page
God the awesomness, I sometimes wonder there hours. Would be cool to see something similiar at aq2world Maybe players, clans etc.
* Lack of forum usage
I think the problem aq2forums aren't that active they used to be is because the site doesn't offer that much stuff. It should be place to hanging around. League page is one of those interesting features that I myself use alot.
Yes, everybody loves the good old interviews. There really haven't been any, ever. (well maybe there was some interviews in 2004 map competition) But the point is they are really fun to read. We should have interviewer!
God almighty, implement z0r stats to aq2world already. Again, the more the merrier.
- Time played
- Frags earned
- K/D ratio
- Clan statistics
- Played week/month/year/all
How about somebody to volunteer to write weekly roundups about reunioncup, could be cool.
* Facebook / Twitter
- Aq2world facebook group has started pretty darn well. We should keep spamming the reunion results and streams there, it's best way atm to inform anything.
- Twitter is also good way to spread the word. But since player base is very little atm, maybe we should think about it a little.
All things above could bring more site and forum usage, and I am pretty sure even players that don't play anymore, or plays casually would spend more time in the aq2world.com.
Whats the thing that is most common in modern games? Achievements. Don't jump on me at irc, I am not kidding. The stupid it sounds achievements are kinda cool. They reward the casual and proplayahs aswell. And it's the only kind of reward I can come up with that doesn't give advantageous position to anyone. I think thats the reason they are so popular.
No matter how good the scene, the game, or everything around it is, if nobody knows about it.
We should think different channels to distribute our quakeloving message. But before we should make everything else as good as it could be.
So I was toying around with some ideas. Discuss people, discuss. And throw some of your own ideas!
ps. Sorry if it is a bit hard to read, ctrl + v messed it up a little